Thursday, June 18, 2009

Chicken Tortellini Soup



I got this recipe from a mom's board that I frequent. The only change I made was to add a can of diced tomatoes which I think really adds some extra flavor. Both times I've made this, I haven't had the bay leaf and it has still tasted fine. This is a great, quick and healthy dinner for weeknights.

1/2 C chopped onion
1 t minced garlic
1 T cooking oil (I used olive oil)
1 9 oz. package of fresh cheese tortellini (frozen works fine, too)
6 C chicken broth
2 C frozen mixed veggies (I used the mix that's carrots, peas, green beans and lima beans and I used the whole bag-didn't measure)
2 5 oz. cans chunk-style chicken (I just used leftover baked chicken breast, about 1 1/2 breasts)

1 can diced tomatoes (I added)
1 t thyme
1 t parsley
1 bay leaf (didn't use)
1/4 t pepper
grated parmesan or Romano cheese

Cook onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes.
Stir in tortellini, chicken broth, veggies, chicken, seasoning and pepper.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes

Serve with grated parmesan or Romano cheese on the top.


0 comments: